Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Fun Times

I finally, after years of trying, got Limey hooked on a board game. Video games and movies are entertaining and all but are pretty useless when the power goes out. The winning game is called Carcassonne. It is a tile laying game and is said to be similar to Settlers of Catan. The reason we went with Carcassonne over Catan is because you can play it with two players. SOC needs at least three.


After playing it at least a dozen times last week, I decided to make it even more fun by picking up a couple of expansion packs. The packs give you more tiles and more options for scoring. The base game took us about 30-45 minutes to play. With the expansions it takes about an hour. It is so much fun and I admit that we're totally addicted.

Rio Grande Games makes a lot of cool board games that are a little more interesting than the standard fare that you find at Walmart.  Unfortunately they can be hard to come by if you're rural and/or can't order them from Amazon.com. 

What's your favourite board game?

5 comments:

  1. I always enjoyed LIFE with the little cars and all the different lives you could end up having. I also love Left Right Center, but I guess that's a gambling game isn't it? Not really a board game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that game. I used to play it all the time when I was a kid. I think we have a computer copy of it somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ladybug game we love and we love Moose in the House but it is a card game. I was recently hearing about Quelf, I may check that out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They sell Carcasonne and some of the expansion packs at the games store in Greenwood mall (it's where we got ours)I believe the price was less than that of Amazon too.
    Catan (the card game, not the board game) is a good one for 2 players as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bleu; I haven't heard of Quelf. Off to Google it.

    Sharon; That's where I got them. I'll have to check out the card game.

    ReplyDelete